PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This ride's a bit low, don't you think?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2019, 12:53
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
I’ve never even set foot in a helo but it “looks” alright to me. Mostly because I don’t know what a helo is capable of at these altitudes. To me it appears he carries sufficient extra speed to give him some more energy to work with.........
Hiya B2N2, like you, I'm FW but have "played" in a Sea King, Lynx, Gazelle and an R22. The Gazelle flew like a dream (the SK and Lx were fine too) but the R22 was doing it's best to kill me I swear for the entire hour I was trying to control it. It went a looooong way to explain why my friend, the R22 Instructor, was the way he was - psychotic!!!!! Having also flown with (as pax)/briefed with loads of helo aircrew, I'd not be going anywhere near that ride! Nor anywhere near where the bits that would fly off it in a crash went! Call me a woosie ..... but!!!

Stick with your namesake - loved my Islander flying .... and my hearing has almost recovered after 12 years!!!! Tho I agree re the dangers of a twin if you had engine failure at low level in a take-off. My plan if, during "immediate actions", it was going pear-shaped, was to do a rapid conversion to a no-engine glide which would probably reduce the death toll.... Thankfully, never, ever had to make that call..... .

Cheers, H 'n' H