PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B787 O2 supply
Thread: B787 O2 supply
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2019, 10:16
TURIN

Received 183 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Viscount Way
After re-reading Collins' description of their PulsOx system I find myself a little confused by this:-

"Three duration options (small, medium and large) accommodate your aircraft’s descent profile – so you can choose the right size oxygen cylinder to get the aircraft to safety without carrying extra weight. Changing the descent profile is easy. Simply switch out the individual oxygen cylinder to the size that matches the new profile."

Can anyone with 787 experience translate this option into practical terms please? How does a flight crew know which money-saving option was adopted?
FCOM?

I'm guessing it's for routine flights over high ground where a descent to a safe breathing altitude is not practical. Extended use of O2 would be required.

Not necessarily money saving, weight saving. Don't forget that Boeing promised performance and fuel savings which were difficult to meet when the structure required some redesign, which added a lot of weight.

As I said in an earlier post, this system uses smaller, lighter weight O2 bottles.

This synoptic from the training manual may help understanding the system.