PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2nd North South Runway at Melbourne Airport
Old 14th Nov 2019, 03:30
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat on a PC©
This might be 'bye' to YMML if the NIMBYs get their way. After the delay with the proposed 09R/27L, the switch to N/S orientation seems strange. I don't necessarily think the wind modelling is the sole factor for the switch, because from a terminal access point of view the E/W runway would have been a much better option. You'd think they'd want to get a move on given the capacity will top out soon.
Could it possibly be that the "NIMBYs" have a reasonable argument considering the vast majority of them built houses and moved to the area being assured of a completely different runway layout???

If it does go ahead, it's just another example of how government's lie then trounce all over citizens when they complain. All for the advancement of the industry, but serious steps were taken many years ago to SPECIFICALLY outline the areas that would be affected by aircraft noise and now the rules are all changed and it's bad luck presumably???

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to invest in YMAV, it is a vast area, not terribly bordered by housing and one side of it practically faces out to sea. The size Melbourne is growing, it makes sense to start spreading the infrastructure. YMML is a crap airport in many ways... it was out of date within a year of opening with the arrival of the 747, despite the construction authority knowing years earlier that 747s were coming they still built it for 707s and DC-8s... it took YEARS to do anything about it and when they did all I see is mistake after mistake, particularly in terminal development.

So, I wouldn't be too hard on the "NIMBYs", they are just highlighting the sort of government and corporate action often alluded to in these pages for other reasons.

From what I've heard, the 'community consultation' was a bloody joke.

Last edited by AerialPerspective; 24th Nov 2019 at 04:58.