PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Severe trim runaway E175 Republic Airways 11/6/19 Atlanta
Old 12th Nov 2019, 21:05
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by misd-agin
airbubba - "It advocated the aggressive use of rudder in upset recovery. " The videos are available on the 'net. In them Vandenburgh doesn't advocate aggressive use of the rudder.
Well, the AAMP and the sim scenario was certainly presented in some places as promoting up to full rudder deflection in some cases of unusual attitude recovery. The NTSB correctly observed that might work in the sim but it might not be a good idea in the plane.

From the AA587 NTSB Accident Report (emphasis mine):

The canned AAMP sim scenario had the ailerons and rudder inhibited for the first 10 seconds or 50 degrees of roll so you were encouraged put in more yoke and rudder until you came out of the upset. I think the idea was that the fatal 737 upsets at COS and PIT might have been recoverable with more timely and aggressive control inputs.

Remember how cleanly the tail came off of AA587? After terrorism was ruled out I remembered how skeptical some of us were about the AAMP training. The NTSB thinks it may have been a factor in the FO's use of the rudder in this mishap.