PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missiles inbound but do not worry
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2019, 11:10
NutLoose

Received 2,939 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Missiles inbound but do not worry

Because Corbyn will have a debate as to whether to strike back.... I would imagine that might be a tad hard to do in the time available.

A Jeremy Corbyn-led government would make collective decisions about when to use nuclear weapons, Emily Thornberry has said.The shadow foreign secretary said Labour would be deliberately “ambiguous” about the circumstances in which it would ever deploy the UK’s Trident weapons system in response to threats from other states.

In what appeared to be a major shift in the party’s stance on the issue, she suggested that Corbyn - who has vowed not to use nuclear weapons - would share the decision with senior cabinet colleagues in the event of an imminent threat.“I don’t necessarily believe that will be a decision made by one individual, I suspect that the way that Jeremy makes decisions is that he takes advice and we work collectively,” she told ITV’s Good Morning Britain programme.

“We will do everything we can in order to protect our country if it becomes necessary. We will make those decisions together and Jeremy listens to his colleagues, particularly those who he knows and respects,” she also told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.However, HuffPost UK understands that Corbyn’s stance is that while, he will listen to advice, he will take the final decisions as Labour leader and PM.

She added: “In principle, Jeremy is not a pacifist. We are not pacifists. There will be times when we need to use military force but when we use it we need to ensure that the use of the military force actually makes the situation better in the long term.

”Defence minister Johnny Mercer said: “The fact that the Shadow Foreign Secretary is openly speculating that her leader could be overruled by a committee on a matter as fundamental as using our nuclear deterrent shows just how weak Jeremy Corbyn really is.

Even his closest colleagues don’t trust him.“If Jeremy Corbyn is unable to make crucial decisions to keep our country safe, he is not fit to be Prime Minister.

”Tory sources added that prime ministers had personal responsibility to give real time orders on use of drone strikes, shoot-to-kill incidents and other emergency situations.Corbyn has said that Nato is a ‘danger’ to world peace and that it was founded to ‘promote’ the Cold War.
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/corbyn-thornberry-nuclear-deterrent-collective-decision_uk_5dc9287be4b00927b236240d?utm_hp_ref=uk-politics&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xl LmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIgGOwfbxr7P07gicj193vKbSj9fYS AMtgOVJnfw9i79PysIxpPalvKYYU1Ve-5UJ-HA_G5TBFZe2a8Li0-M1uOYwtzAjd9oM39a7zFGmV2yTCK05aZSY6_IH1eoLnCCWIQutY2ma60XRV7 js___HCLH-MoDtM6F0jcPZJQmjoaV

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...=recirculation

Last edited by NutLoose; 11th Nov 2019 at 11:32.