PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVG - eye surgery for ageing eyes...
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2019, 17:11
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by hayes67
Can I check something with you Shy?
I have worn specs for over 40 years and contacts for some 30, I looked into lens surgery about twelve months ago and even went to a full blown eye hospital explaining that I wanted to start flying again, after several visits the surgeon told me under no circumstances would they perform the operation as CAA regulations would not allow me to fly once it was done.
I wear multi focal contact lenses and as these cannot be worn I have had to buy varifoca glasses.
My AME at the time told me a BA pilot had had the surgery done and that my surgeon wasn't up to speed.

In the end I have stuck with the varifocals, but I would love to have the surgery if it would mean I can fly without specs or contacts! The CAA and other bodies across the globe would need to be in agreement of course, but if you know this is possible I'd love to hear back from you or anybody else that knows about this.

Ta very much!
I have fixed, single focus lenses (which are accepted by the CAA, multi / vari focus lenses are not) such that my distance vision requires no correction. I use corrective specs to read the instrument panel / for reading. I easily pass the Class 1 medical. I suggest you contact an AME for advice.