PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Severe trim runaway E175 Republic Airways 11/6/19 Atlanta
Old 10th Nov 2019, 15:33
Roger_Murdock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aa777888
This incident is really interesting. That crew apparently fought their trim system for what seemed like a long time. Leaving aside the obviously sub-optimal design of the 737-MAX, nevertheless with a runaway trim (or MCAS), in the MAX it came down to "Turn off two switches to live". And in this case, the above procedure doesn't seem overly complex, either. How is it that pilots are not performing these procedures within just a minute of when trim or trim-related systems are malfunctioning? And these folks immediately declared it a runaway trim, also.

Obviously I'm making a big assumption about what the failure mode was in this case. I suppose it could be something that was not readily handled by the above procedure.
I think it's a little to early to tell about the time frame, actions taken, etc. of this flight. Just because they said the words "runaway trim" on the radio doesn't mean that it was an accurate description of the problem. Even if it was, they may have been able to engage cut out in short order yet suffered much difficulty manually trimming back to a state where they had pitch control.