PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 10th Nov 2019, 03:06
b1lanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillowRun 6-3
From the Seattle Times "doubled down" article, this premise for a question, or two....
Boeing stated to FAA MCAS "wasn't new and novel because a similar system had been previously implemented in the 767 tanker for the Air Force..."
The USAF has already publicly stated that the KC-46 MCAS system is not a concern - it is different then the Max implementation. How Boeing might have presented that to the FAA is another matter. If Boeing had kept the same design for the Max, one has to wonder if two crashes would have been avoided.
Air Force Magazine

The AF has also been public about halting deliveries of the KC-46 due to QC issues though I don't see where this would have any bearing on the Max. QC is not only an issue with new deliveries, it is also a maintenance problem (not necessarily a Boeing problem) on existing platforms.
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...-debris-found/

I'll leave it to your imagination on how much one branch of the gov't keeps another informed. However, I'd suggest that the AF is under little obligation to provide design details to any other gov't organization beyond those that insure the aircraft can safely traverse commercial airspace controlled by the FAA.