PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 747-400 water landing evacuation procedure
Old 9th Nov 2019, 12:42
UltraFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boeing 747-400 water landing evacuation procedure

Today I went on the Internet and I found this:

The link, if you care to click it, will take you straight to the 0:51 mark. What's interesting to me here is how the PA describes the evacuation procedure: "For passengers on the upper deck, if the water landing occurs, you should [go] downstairs and exit through main deck doors".

Two questions here. One, ARE THEY SERIOUS!? Is that a real evacuation procedure!? A layman passenger, in shock from water landing and possibly injured, should head down a darn steep flight of stairs (which may or may not still be there) to exit the plane!? Or is the water landing of such aircraft was considered so devastating that nobody was expected to survive anyway and this is just a keep-em-calm announcement?

And two, why are both wing and upper deck inflatable slides disabled in case of a water landing? What's the big difference? Beside faster evacuation, those large slides could be used as large rafts for passengers. Can the remaining eight hold ALL passengers of which there could be 660?