PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAI into Clutha crash opens
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2019, 08:26
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxR
FB - I'm not sure that's the case. The calculation would have shown him that he had about 75kg left - which he did - the problem is not how much fuel he had (enough for a good twenty minutes) but where it was, ie not in the supply tanks. Or have I misunderstood something?
indeed he was at no stage short of fuel and therefore never, in his mind, taking any risks. And I believe that is why the double flame out was such a shock and a successful outcome beyond his ability.

i think Captain Trail’s probable belief that both transfer pumps were on when in fact both were off persuaded him to ignore subsequent warnings.

i did read every word of the FAI report. I can’t help agreeing with its findings.

But I think that the fuel system of the 135 is an abomination waiting to trap the unwary in a totally false illusion that each engine has its own fuel supply to meet regulation.

ive never flown the type, but it seems to me that there is never a time when both transfer pumps would intentionally be off together.

so why not a single three position switch. Centre - Both on. Forward - Forward on Rear off. Rear - Rear on Forward off.

and if you ever need both off a separate guarded switch to turn both off.

Last edited by Arkroyal; 9th Nov 2019 at 09:15.