PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotors to fixed wing in Canada
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2019, 04:05
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, Elton, you can feel butt hurt all you want, but I've been at this over 20 years now and I've seen the good times and the bad times. Right now, I'm very much on the inside and about as close to airline hiring as one can be without being in the interview room (and I've been there before).

Let me say this as unequivocally as I can:

1) Canadian airlines do not hire exclusively from universities.
2) Canadian regional airlines hire CPL-A holders with very little total time experience so long as they have written the IATRA or SAMRA/SARON exams.
3) One of the regional airlines is hiring Direct Entry Captains, the other two are very close to doing so. The average upgrade at Jazz and Encore is hovering around two years, less with more experience and an ATPL-A in hand.

Call this "propaganda in a unicorn world" all you want. I'll grant you that times are not what they used to be and a far cry from the 5,000+ hours needed to get into Jazz when I first started in the late 1990s, but I just finished training two initial First Officer students with a combined total time of 2,200 hours. Both were teaching in 172's only four weeks ago. The airline I work for has been teaching this level of experience for almost 8 months now and we've seen a steady decrease in experience for about the last 3 years. The training programs at Jazz, Porter, and Encore are designed to accommodate a 250-hour pilot, and Jazz has been doing this successfully for quite some time now. If Encore and Porter are not also hiring 250-hour pilots by the end of next year, it likely means we're in a recession and we're all screwed.

No, we do not hire CPL-H or ATPL-H straight into the airlines as the U.S may do. But that's why I outlined the TC requirements for license conversion. We would not turn away a helicopter pilot who had completed the appropriate conversions and obtained the CPL-A or ATPL-A with Group 1 instrument rating. Rather simple really.