PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS feeling effects of global pilot shortage
Old 9th Nov 2019, 01:44
dontgive2FACs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see it as a trade off between $$ vs fulfilment (lifestyle). The answer is different for every person.

Supply and demand will eventually drive the price (in this case, Salary).

With airlines recruiting heavily, I really do feel for worthy causes like the RFDS. They provide a vital service to those in our big country.

By our nature, I feel a lot of pilots are highly motivated and goal driven (I feel that if you aren’t when you start, you tend to become such after a few years!).

An airline (Jet) command in Australia is seen by a lot of people as the pinnacle. Once you’ve achieved that, the job becomes one of managing work/life balance and doing so for the most amount of $$.

Perhaps then, fulfilment starts to diminish (the rate might depend on the size of your mortgage!). We all look back at how rewarding GA flying can be but very few willing to take the risks with that move...

I would implore anyone to seek employment with RFDS. Take away the industrial agreement considerations, at its roots, a wonderful function, founded by some history-making, famous Australians which helps people in need.