PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVG - eye surgery for ageing eyes...
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2019, 20:06
AAKEE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Bull

Thanks,
that’s helpful.
Evenso, we rely on the armed forces services for our equipment, it’s worth while looking into this
Even if you have annular service or something like that you dont get a quality check of your settings or the goggle function/picture quality without the hoffman box.

We also use boards with the same snellen charts for adjustment but as the lighting level in the room dont get that precise you dont get a comparable value of the function of your goggles.
I have taken a newly serviced/checked pair of goggles tested in the Hoffman box and actually found them not really good and because of this, chosen another pair.
without the Hoffman Im quite sure I wouldnt noticed that they differed from others.

Both ways of setup are ok but it is a lot higher quality with the Hoffman box( not the actual tuning but the measureble performance of the goggle)
We actually did a ranking of around 25 sets of goggles ( had some years of use) with the Hoffman and found that only the top ten actually should be used by pilots in low light situations. All of them passed the annular checks.

Of course I have done a lot of flights just taking out the goggles on a job and checked the settings from the learned values, and it works fine. But you do not know if they perform as they should.