PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 8th Nov 2019, 15:42
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Quite so.

Also, I don’t understand why the software issue is/was so difficult. In the USA they have all the software expertise of Silicon Valley; e.g, Apple etc. So why - if it is true - did Boeing use cheap freelance software writers, and not tap into the excellent home grown talent they have?
Yeah, I know, it has to do with cost

But it is a shame that Boeing still use what is fundamentally a 1950’s design for the 737, which is like a MK 1 Landrover - dependable and does the job, but also very basic - and they never seemed to have the pride or willingness to really upgrade and improve their product? Yes, they added modern instrumentation and crowbarred some computers in here and there. But the cockpit is still like a cupboard, the hydraulics and systems are crude, and they didn’t ever do a properly integrated and sorted redesign, while Airbus overtook them. And Boeing have stitched themselves up now because they cannot fit large, modern fuel efficient engines under such a low wing.

I know some of the reasons were tied in with SouthWest, and pilot retraining costs etc, but as pioneers, it is a shame Boeing never truly modernised the 73.