PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speculation at QF
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2019, 07:30
Australopithecus

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective
I'm a big Boeing supporter but I've always thought that the A320 being used in large numbers at JQ (not far off the number of 737-838s operated by QF), that it would make sense for QF to buy the A320neo and A321neo XLR, if only from a Group commonality point of view. I still prefer the Boeing but the prospect of A320s with ULDs is a much better proposition than bulk compartment on the 737 with magic carpet.
The other only problem with that is the Boeing offer is the snakebitten Max. Who really wants to operate a 1965 piece of crap in 2045? Not a huuuuge fan of the Airbus, but it beats the 737 by any metric except training costs. Which would likely be offset by ground handling savings in 8-10 years. Not many pilots are giddy with excitement to go from a 320 to a 737.

The A321 NEO has no Boeing equivalent anymore (757). The current thinking on the NMA aircraft is a revamped 767-400, despite the lack of a suitable engine. Boeing bet the company with the 787, lost the bet, and were then unable to make a new narrowbody. It looks like the resulting 737 Max debacle will in turn render them unable to make any wholly new type for a very long time, if ever.