PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Definition of Reporting for Duty
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 18:18
KYT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Twiglet, this issue wasn’t an issue for me until EASA got involved increasing flight duty periods, such that fatigue is now an issue, thanks to Airlines exploiting the new crazy work practices. Dumbing down safe operating practices while the US were becoming more concerned with the same issue, (crazy commuting), thanks to Capt Sully’s efforts. Did you ask your MEP to vote against them? Did the CAA campaign against them?

The new EASA regs are less safe, and Companies are happy not to define things and keep everything woolly, it’s down to money. The reason for this post was to try and find a straightforward definition, the fact that appears not to be one, should ring alarm bells for everyone, not that it’s about 30 mins, (or an hour.)

If legislation was introduced to mandate a maximum commute period, people and Companies may ignore them, that’s up to them. Again, the fact that there isn’t speaks volumes. ANO states you must be fit for duty, yet I have heard of duties where tiredness leads to sleeping crews being intercepted. Without us getting on with the job sometimes, certain schedules would never take place. On these tough rotations, every moments rest is vital, as clearly not everyone falls asleep. So perhaps that extra 30 mins or an hour becomes more important. I’m a little surprised you think it’s nifty naff and trivia, suspect you don’t get tired much, you must be a real Company man!