PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 16:58
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wrong answer!

Seems like I had an experience similar to Danny's, during my end of SFTS course interview with the station commander. On discovering I had attended a Rugby-playing school, I was asked which position I played in: to which I responded "none if I could help it" (or words to that effect), "I was no good at sport and didn't like the game anyway". So who ever said 'honesty was the best policy' I reflected, on leaving the station as a Sergeant Pilot rather than Pilot Officer; but in the long run perhaps I had after all said the right thing, for NCOs seemed to pass through the blockage that was the Harrogate holding unit rather quicker than the commissioned - and so it proved to be for me.

Originally Posted by Geriaviator
Sir Basil Embry didn't always find favour with his subordinates, who included our sadly missed contributor Danny42C. Having flown Vengeance dive-bombers in Burma Danny returned to his old job in the Civil Service in 1946 but found its stuffiness unbearable, so he rejoined the RAF and at last was given a Spitfire to fly. His bid for a permanent commission was going quite well until he encountered Sir Basil, as he wrote in his e-book Danny and the Cold War:

Most followers of this wonderful thread will have copies of Danny's e-books In with a Vengeance and Danny and the Cold War but if anyone hasn't, send me a PM with your email address as Prune cannot handle attachments.