PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Australia..?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 16:16
cessnapete

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Gittins
All looks a bit complicated to get an "on the basis of" (and complicated invariably means expensive) with 12 months maximum validity and having to state the type and reg of the aeroplane to be flown up front . Noting like as simple as my FAA 61.75 "on the basis of."

Oh why is nothing in aviation ever quick simple or cheap ?
Dave I wouldn't bother unless you're spending 6 months or more in Oz.
A couple of years ago I intended renting there on a three month stay, a C172 for touring Queensland.
Got the application forms from CASA well in advance of my departure for a validation of my EASA licences (At the time ATPL and FAA CPL/IR, with many UK Airline flying hours as flight crew operating from large airports around Australia. Current, SEP/MEP piston, with many hours on light GA, but prior experience doesn't make any difference.)
Sent back the forms $$$$$. As I intended staying near ,and flying from, Sunshine Coast airport, I was informed I would need an ASIC, (an airline type ID Card) as that airport has commercial pax services. About a dozen or so A320/B737 on busy day!
For the ASIC I would need an interview in person in Sydney, which I had not planned to visit. If successful, the card would be issued hopefully, the CASA lady said, in 2 months.
By that time I would be close to departure back to UK.
At that point I gave up!