PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel cross feed after fuel leak.
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 09:41
InSoMnIaC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomad2
Thanks for the replies, guys.
On the Embraer, one line in the 'one engine inop approach and landing' QRH, is fuel crossfeed OFF.

I believe this is legislative In basis, and not for any technical reason, but it's still in there.

Clearly, we couldn't reset it to OFF as that would result in an engine shutting down while on final approach.

In our sim scenario, the contents of one tank simply reduced rapidly to zero- a big leak- so all the fuel on one side was quickly lost, and the other side was unaffected.

I maintain that the purpose of the crossfeed is so you can run both engines from one side, so why not do so?

I haven’t flown the E190 in very long so I don’t have any aircraft specific advice for you. However judging from what you say, (ie quickly lost all fuel on one side ) I suspect this leak is from the engine. A tank leak would not be so rapid and likely very hard to detect.

For this reason, the crossfeed should be kept closed while the fuel leaking engine is still running. Otherwise the engine will pump the other tank dry aswell. Once the engine has been shutdown and secured and a leak no longer exists, opening of the crossfeed valve can be considered, if any usable fuel is available on the affected side. I would probably resist opening the crossfeed even in this scenario unless i require more fuel to reach an ERA.