PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVG - eye surgery for ageing eyes...
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 09:07
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi,
glasses are a pain in the a....
always some dust on it which irritates, you need to wear a cap to prevent rain and drizzle on them and the distance between eye and NVG needs to be increased - so the field of view decreases :-(
Also you need spare glasses, if they are added in your medical.
I use progressive glasses and started early with them, cause it takes time to get accustomed to. With less dioptrien itīs easier than starting later with more dioptrien.
Biggest problem for me was, that while wearing NVG part of the correction got covered - so the checklist on the lap was sharp, but viewing cross the cockpit to the moving map i.e. got somewhat blurry.
I adopted in that way, that I now have the NVG screwed as high as possible, just using the lower 2/3rds of the googles looking outside, while having the lower part of my glasses free, which allows me to use all of the progressive part. (High end progressive glasses - the cheaper ones have narrower areas to look through)
Tip for cleaning, especially if you get coated glasses - stay away from the pre soaked cleaning packs you can buy - they ruin the coating.
Just some (non remoistening) soap (litte) with warm running water for cleaning will do. Dry with kitchen paper towels (without print) ;-)