PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying into MEL? Beware......
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2019, 21:45
73qanda

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree it’s a safety issue. I make a point of reading all the info that the regs require me to read. I do it quickly and as efficiently as I can. I then walk as expeditiously as I can through security and to the gate, this takes between 15 and twenty minutes. By now I am about ten minutes behind the companies timing schedule.
At the gate a young employee of a third party contractor checks my ID to make sure I’m not an imposter and then I can make my way down the aerobridge. When I do this I meet a direct employee of the Airline who often theatrically looks at their watch or comments on their desire for an on time departure. In one ( unusual) case she actually put her hand on my back and pushed me towards the aircraft in an attempt to speed up my walking pace. They normally have a clipboard and note down the time I board the aircraft where I meet my crew for the first time.
Having been thoroughly trained in the importance of teamwork and leadership I call the crew together to brief the day ahead. This is a major cause of frustration for the gate staff as there is an expectation that boarding will commence as soon as I step foot on the aircraft. Briefing is kept brief, perhaps one minute to ensure everyone is fit ( as per the regs).
Most of the time my crew are happy to come together and the tone is set to relax and go about our jobs at a sensible pace, sometimes, the pressure ( from emails and ground staff) has been too much for them and they are already rushing before the first sector.
Most of the time I get away on time, sometimes I’m a few minutes late.
Conflicting Standard Operating Procedures has been a known hazard for thirty years yet they are alive and well with no attempt to rectify as long as the KPI is OTP.