PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel cross feed after fuel leak.
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2019, 03:31
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad2
Gentlemen.
In my previous airline, in a sim check, there was a fuel leak. The first thing the QRH says, is to stop cross feeding, if you are doing so.
This is pretty good advice, since- if you are feeding both engines from the side that is leaking, there's a chance that it's all going to go quiet once that tank runs dry.
So, after the QRH had been auctioned, I used the cross feed to keep both engines going, and we landed on two.
Bravo, said the instructor. First guy to land with both running since we started this sim scenario.

In my new airline, guess what? Same situation.
So, after the same old QRH- same type btw- Embraer 190, I happily switched the crossfeed to keep both the engines running, but this time I was criticisedin the debrief for doing so.
You should have just done a single engine approach, said the instructor- that's why we practise it in the sim he said.

In my own turn, I said he must be nuts. If he was flying his own family in a Seneca, and found himself in the same situation, would he really prefer a single engine approach, and possible G/A, or would he keep them both running from the tank that had fuel?

Any thoughts, fellow pruners?
I can talk about Airbus. After the fuel leak procedure has been run and the fuel leak has been stopped only then cross feed can be considered. This can only happen if the leak was from one of the engines and the procedure would have asked the engine be shut. Now if you need the fuel from dead side to reach destination you can use the cross feed. Otherwise for handling purposes balancing is not required. If the leak was from the wing tanks or center tank then the engine is to be kept running till it flames out or aircraft is landed but cross feed is to be kept shut.

Last edited by vilas; 5th Nov 2019 at 04:00.