PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel cross feed after fuel leak.
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2019, 19:27
Nomad2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel cross feed after fuel leak.

Gentlemen.
In my previous airline, in a sim check, there was a fuel leak. The first thing the QRH says, is to stop cross feeding, if you are doing so.
This is pretty good advice, since- if you are feeding both engines from the side that is leaking, there's a chance that it's all going to go quiet once that tank runs dry.
So, after the QRH had been auctioned, I used the cross feed to keep both engines going, and we landed on two.
Bravo, said the instructor. First guy to land with both running since we started this sim scenario.

In my new airline, guess what? Same situation.
So, after the same old QRH- same type btw- Embraer 190, I happily switched the crossfeed to keep both the engines running, but this time I was criticisedin the debrief for doing so.
You should have just done a single engine approach, said the instructor- that's why we practise it in the sim he said.

In my own turn, I said he must be nuts. If he was flying his own family in a Seneca, and found himself in the same situation, would he really prefer a single engine approach, and possible G/A, or would he keep them both running from the tank that had fuel?

Any thoughts, fellow pruners?