PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport security
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 17:44
Will_161

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Negan
I got a full body scan by those round tubes, then went for the hand held metal detector all over and then finally a pat down when going through one day. What the hell is the point of checking someone 3 seperate times? Shouldn't one suffice?

It's not a nice experience doing all these checks on someone
As has been said, that is a SOP, that cannot be deviated from, just like the many SOPs you have when you’re sat upfront.

If you pass through the metal detector and alarm due to metal, the co-ordinator will try to resolve the alarm. You then go into the scanner. If you’re a random, your shoes are swabbed and if the individual has religious headwear on and refuses a hand search, that is again is swabbed and a couple of passes with the handheld wand is conducted. This is all a SOP as directed by the CAA. Any deviation from these means a meeting and/or investigation with no tea and biscuits offered.

Of course, all these procedures can be made as easy or as painful as you want them to be. I will always try to have a laugh, a chat, a high five from the kids, anything that’ll make the process a bit more ‘human’ as someone has said. Granted some of my colleagues are total monsters, but we get those in every industry, walk of life or whatever.
There are a lot of nervous passengers around and the last thing they want is some arse of a security officer shouting and balling at them.
I am a firm believer in treating someone how you would like to be treated. On Friday just gone, I had 3 separate families in the space of about 15 mins thank me for being so helpful and kind when helping them sort their electrical and liquids out before they went through the X-ray, they all had to throw over size items away as well

Im getting an increasing amount of passengers mentioning about the amount of plastic used, which I think is totally correct. Having to take liquids out of someone’s permanent clear plastic bag and put them in mine because theirs is oversize, is in my eyes, laughable.
I will always say to stick the liquids in one of our bags to stop the luggage bag being rejected and searched, then give me the bag back and they can stick the liquids back in theirs and I’ll reuse the bag. Totally pointless but hey, it’s what the CAA want.