PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport security
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 12:41
back to Boeing

Received 102 Likes on 48 Posts
As aircrew we are probably more exposed to this than the average punter. Hence why we have more stories than your average punter. Most security screening staff are friendly enough and just doing a job. Most flight crew are friendly enough and know the game. But we all know characters on both sides of the discussion that are complete idiots. From the “I have a crash axe on the flight deck” and “i don’t need a yoghurt to crash a plane” to “I’m in charge here until the inspection is complete”.

The security measures have forced those intent of doing harm to an aircraft to search for other avenues.

3 anecdotes that still make me chuckle from when I used to work on the ground.

1) I had a half litre bottle of water confiscated at the security checkpoint as I was driving a vehicle from landslide to airside. They didn’t get the irony of me saying that I had about 40 litres of flammable petrol in the car’s tank and did they want to confiscate that too (it was a night shift and I was grumpy).

2) A security guard coming from landside to airside said “oh I’m sorry I have a can of redbull, you’ll have to confiscate that” chortle chortle as soon as they were airside they took the confiscated can of redbull and opened it up in front of everyone else and started drinking it. I reported that because I was annoyed at their blatant p*sstake

3) a fully armed police officer walking through a scanner setting off everything. Security said “I’m going to have to search you, where am I allowed to search you?”

I could give some anecdotes from flight crew colleagues but I won’t because I still have to work with them.