PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS feeling effects of global pilot shortage
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 09:37
Towering Q
Seasonally Adjusted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt DAN
moving to places like Meekatharra and Kalgoorlie etc to fly single engine turbine with the experience that RFDS are chasing is becoming harder to justify. Most guys with that time have already done the country stint and it would be a backward step career wise. HR types and insurance companies are still all about ME time. Jets aren’t for everyone but living in those towns isn’t for many either
I don't think it's realistic to compare Kalgoorlie with Meekatharra.

Meekatharra, population just over 1000, high crime rate, 2 pubs, 1 supermarket. Not much to do, and a long drive to Geraldton or Perth to get to the coast.

Kalgoorlie, population over 30 000, plenty of places to eat out, good sporting facilities, 4 hours from Esperance, 6 from Perth. It's basically an inland city, without all the traffic and hassles of Perth.
I lived in Kal for 15 years and had a great time. The town does go through its ups and downs, according to the mining cycle, but it's still a great place to live. Oh, and don't believe all that BS on Kalgoorlie Cops!

In Westops, Kal was usually the second favourite base, after JT. Broome has probably secured that spot now.