PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF to Commercial
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 09:03
JliderPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This route would certainly work and I wish you luck. The RAF now have several types of aircraft that are on the civilian register. So in the future, getting your ATPL and the transition to the outside should be easier than it used to be. The Military training is very good plus the pension is as a good as any outside.

I spent 23 years flying in the RAF and looking back I would not have changed that. If I had went straight into civilian airline flying from college / uni sure I would have earned more money (possibly) but you get to work as part of a great team, the flying is different/ interesting and most people will make friends for life.

it seems to me the rating is the most important factor civilian employers seem to value. They do recognise the military experience but there are some very talented and capable boys and girls who have struggled to gain civilian employment down to this. You can expect your military hours to be factored down as they put more value on commercial jet airline experience. Which btw I can totally understand as the job is very different.