PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HeliOps 2020 Calendar Giveaway - Updated
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 06:11
Old Farang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well retired now, but I think the most memorable flight that sticks in my memory was also a ferry flight.
An R22 picked up from the factory in LA to ferry to Dallas TX. I had an instructor with me and the first thing I recall was the ease of flying past the LA International Airport following a freeway!
But my instructor had some form of hard on for the residents of California, and started blaming all of them because he was not sure of exactly which freeway we were following, despite dropping down low enough to read the road signs!

So, "we need a road map" says he. Landed in a vacant block close to a "gas station" and he sent me to buy a map. What he didn't know was that the operators of the gas station were a couple of Latinos. I can still see the look on their face's when this strange speaking alien from down under arrived out of the sky speaking lord only knows what!

Managed to buy a map and just as I arrived back at the helicopter along comes a police patrol car complete with flashing lights. But no problem; the officer just waved at us and off we went!

Oh to be young again!