PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mens mental health in aviation
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 00:05
glenb

Received 83 Likes on 38 Posts
Mens mental health in aviation

Its an interesting thing life, full of ups and downs. I tell my kids, its like a piece of string with ups and downs like a cardiograph during a heart attack. As the passage of life continues on and that string gets pulled out, those ups and downs get less significant, and it all gets into perspective. Just gotta look after the string, and don't let it break.

Throughout my life, I have had two accusations repeatedly made towards me. I compartmentalise too much (which I still don't fully understand) and im too "half glass full".

Ive gone through life with heaps of friends, and had a blast. I had never even had a gloomy day.

At Primary school, (1970 to 1977), I would arrive at 7.30AM (straight after Aquaman) talk to the cleaner Mr Carnervale, and wait for someone to turn up, so I could play with them. He used to lean on his mop and amuse me, lovely fella.

Basically, I probably had a bit too much energy for life. I considered myself a pretty happy chappy. Unexpectedly, and far too close to home, I was touched by a suicide event. I couldn't understand it.

Im certainly no "mental health practitioner, but feel eminently qualified to have an emotional dump, so here it is.

Drawing on over 35 years experience in GA, I have learnt that mental health manifests itself through stress, anxiety, or depression. They are real, and every day we become more and more aware of it.

I had an experience that bought an entirely different perspective to life. If you are a male (I can only speak to males), you are in the perfect industry to have a mental health issue. I was someone who never opened up, and had a rare opportunity about 12 months ago. Unexpectedly, and out of left field I had a tearful and emotional mini meltdown (of sorts). Embarrassingly, it was with someone from CASA.

Surprisingly, and hours later, I reflected on it, and actually realised how much better I felt. It was like I had "sighed" deeper than I had ever breathed out before. It was a good place to be in. I looked around and realised im in a pretty good industry for a bloke to "sigh" a little bit more. I began opening up to workmates and colleagues. It felt good to "sigh" a lot.

The point is, if your a bloke feeling a bit "pent up" or going through a rough patch, you are extremely fortunate. ( Dear Lord, for what I am about to say, may it be taken in the manner it is intended, gulp!)

Many walk into their workplace and look around, maybe 40, 50, 60 % of the people will be ladies, and the balance men. From a mental health perspective, in aviation most blokes are surrounded by 90% men. Your off to a good start already, surely one of them must be able to have a chin wag with you. Its amazing how a problem shared, is a problem halved..

We are also fortunate that in aviation we are so aware of the importance of team work. In many industries the people will all be pulling in different directions, but in aviation whether it be in the plane, the workshop, or the office we respect the importance of teamwork and support.

You begin to realise that a bloke in GA has a lot of options, a high proportion of "blokes" in tune with the concepts of teamwork, support,communication etc.

From my own personal experience, the more I opened up, the more support and energy I drew. I can only talk to GA, but the people that you are surrounded by are exceptional, and dependable, if you are having a bit of a challenge, I wholeheartedly encourage you to open up a bit more and fully embrace the opportunity you have. You will not be let down. I say that from personal experience. We are very very lucky