PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Original chippy paint scheme
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2019, 19:39
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Unless it served at RAFC Cranwell, then it could have those rather nice blue ones...
Oldman, are you aware that the first batch of Chipmunks for the RAFC did NOT have the yellow wing bands either?

A quick summary of RAF Chipmunk colour schemes:

1. The introduction scheme - overall cellulose High Speed Silver with yellow bands (except as mentioned above).

2. 1958/59, yellow bands removed in favour of painted Day Glo panels (various patterns, but the layout shown in Post #7 the definitive one).

3. 1961 (ish), due to paint instability issues, the painted panels replaced by the 3M adhesive strips. There are three possible configurations of the strips on the rear fuselage: (a) 2 parallel strips with the lower strip more or less centred on the top of the roundel (post #11), (b) and additional third lower strip and (c) two strips, centred on the roundel and tapering aft. Cowl side strips appeared in two variations also, either (a) rectangular or (b) with rounded leading edges. It seems that the second nose strip configuration only ever appeared with the third rear fuselage layout.

4. 1966, the MoD introduce polyurethane paints with Light Aircraft Grey replacing Silver (they're tonally very similar; a deliberate choice). The earliest application for a Chipmunk that I can find is c.1969.

5. 1970 the new colours of Red/White & LAG appear, initially on aircraft of 2 FTS (indeed, by the time of its closure in 1974, all of its Chipmunks were in this scheme) . This is not the scheme shown in Post #11; it comprised red lower fuselage, wingtips, wind leading edges, wingroots and tailplane - all fabric horizontal surfaces were in LAG.

6. 1971 a second scheme using the same colours promulgated, this is the more familiar one with red outer wing panels, red elevators and LAG wingroots. What was wrong with the first permutation I wonder? The first examples of this scheme appeared around 1974/75, and a few aircraft subsequently could be seen in a hybrid scheme, i.e. the "new" wing and elevator treatment but retaining the red wingroots. The last example of this I can find was in 1978.

A few more things to think about - the advertised "life" of the polyurethane paints was 7 years, the cellulose paint obviously less, given the low utilization rate of the RAF's Chipmunk fleet some aircraft would have "skipped" one or even two of the schemes, so around the mid 1970's it would have been possible to see Chipmunks in all four of the schemes (silver, grey and the 2 R/W/LAG schemes). Adding a further complication, in B&W photos it can be hard to tell if it's silver or grey (remember what I said about tonal similarities?).

It's a surprisingly complex subject...

Last edited by Dora-9; 1st Nov 2019 at 21:12.