PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Purvinas, legend
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2019, 05:17
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas doesn’t want to look for cracks earlier than the AD specifies because it would be very inconvenient to find them early...

Originally Posted by Bug Smasher Smasher
Might want to check your facts there champ.
Hi guys thought I would check in. Various opinions on here. If I had a little more time I would debunk everything said but I'll tackle this one for now.

Qantas did not originally pull these checks forward (even though Virgin had). Qantas Engineers in Bne were working in the landing gear bay and noticed the crack. They reported it. The manager went off his tree at them for seeking defects they weren't asked to look for. Qantas had no option other than to check their aircraft after one was found cracked.

Now Qantas could check the other aircraft, it takes no longer than an hour with a torch and a rag. They will not because if they do the aircraft must be immediately grounded. I found it confronting today to have Qantas say that these cracks pose no real danger even if an aircraft continues to fly. If that is the case, why is an aircraft with a found crack immediately grounded as per the FAA AD. BTW, the same AD says that these cracks could cause the loss of control of the airplane. This is a serious issue that Qantas are playing down for the sake of profit.