PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of Windows 7 Support
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2019, 22:34
Spartacan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A cheap solution would be to buy a reconditioned tower with Windows 10 installed (circa £150 from Amazon). However, a problem I have is old data. Some of the stuff I want to transfer safely to Windows 10 is over 25 years old. Old data is fragile stuff and every time I’ve changed operating systems some files have become unreadable. It gets harder to read old files even if you can keep track of them.

So, for me, the safest thing is to stick with one tower with data backed up onto several internal hard drives. I tried external drives but gave up after two of them suffered mechanical failure.

My attempt to upgrade has created another data problem as the computer shop decided, without my consent, to make a back up of my hard drive. I’ve asked them to delete it but, so far, they haven’t confirmed that they have done so.You place an awful lot of trust in computer repair shops and I’ve no reason to believe this shop is untrustworthy. However, if they won’t get on and delete it where do I stand? Complaint to the Information Commissioner?