PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick trial cuts plane boarding time by 10%
Old 31st Oct 2019, 15:56
Peter47

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to go back in a time machine and see how Southwest managed their ten minute turnarounds - although they became 20 min turnarounds in due course. I suspect that lighter loads and much less baggage helped. US carriers now prioritise loading according to fare paid / status, etc presumably to give priority to bin space. This results in chaos and prolonged turnaround times. Where WILMA will help is people sitting in aisle seats having to get up to allow those in window seats to sit down.

I arrived at AMS on a KLM 737 last month and passengers were allowed to alight from the rear exit by stair. I have also alighted from the rear of a wide body but by jetty. Could at both reducing turnaround time and helping pax make connections.

Incidently could anyone from easyJet, or any relevant airline quote my the difference in turnaround time at an airport such as LGW or GVA where planes are loaded from a single airbridge and airports where two sets of stairs are used.