PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drag of a seized jet engine compared to windmilling
Old 31st Oct 2019, 13:59
Dave Therhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, because I don't personally own the data, I have to be careful not to release information that might be considered proprietary.

However (and this is now just me talking about the physics as I understand it), I hope most of us can agree that a fully plugged nacelle (entire fan duct and core path blocked) would have more drag than a nacelle with a windmilling fan due to the effects of 100% spillage. The nacelle with a stopped fan behaves a lot like a nacelle with a fully plugged fan because the flow through the fan duct is greatly reduced versus a windmilling engine. The stream of air that actually flows through the nacelle is greatly reduced in diameter when the fan is stopped, unlike when a propeller is stopped, due to the high solidity of the fan and the exit guide vanes relative to the flow direction and the total effect of the tortuous path the air has to follow to get around the fan blades and the exit guide vanes (which are shaped and angled all wrong for this flow case). This "spilled" air, which has to get out of the way of the nacelle rather than pass through it, causes an appreciable amount of what I believe is referred to as interference drag, but I am not an aerodynamics engineer so that may be the wrong term.