PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Dublin CX winter suspension
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2019, 13:56
cxorcist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDU2
Reality is that CX face huge competition ex DUB. The ME3 all offer flights to their hubs. Emirates is twice daily. If you want a backpacker route to Oz/NZ you have the choice of one stop services via the ME3, CX or flying West to LAX and SFO availing of US preclearance in Dublin meaning you arrive as a domestic passenger and the layovers are generally only 3-4 hours before your flight to AKL/SYD/MEL/BNE etc. Finnair is also aggressively pushing its Hub as is Turkish, KLM, Lufty and LHR would still be a "traditional" stop for many Irish heading to Asia and further afield for those that don't mind an additional stop to save some coin.
CX are not after the budget, backpacker hub traffic. The O&D business travelers and cargo must not support the cost of operating the route. It happens (Düsseldorf). Perhaps a smaller aircraft (ie B788/9) could have made them profitable. I doubt the current events in HK are helping matters. There is also the question of being able to use that DUB A359 capacity elsewhere to make more (or lose less) money. I’m thinking of routes in Oz that still have A330 service.