PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAI into Clutha crash opens
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2019, 12:25
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
...and to confuse things further: in my last job I was on task (in a CPDS P2) when the red FUEL warning (with gong) illuminated on one side. We packed in the task, started the clock (we observed the CDS P1 "only 8 minutes" across our small fleet) and turned for an (RN satellite) airfield not a million miles away. Reviewing the actions, I noted that the main tank was still delivering fuel, that both supply tanks were still indicating full and that there were no other indications of low fuel in the supply. I elected to knock the speed back to a figure using power below that required for OEI and turn for base, figuring that if - as I suspected - it was an erroneous warning, then only one engine would be affected and I could fly a single-engine approach. After approximately 15 minutes we flew a twin-engine approach back into home base.

Sure enough, the pump unit had a faulty thermistor so the moral is that even the usually-reliable component of the EC135 fuel indication system can have its off-days. Dave and jay were right to be confused - only jay made the safe call and is here to tell us about it.

I was disciplined for not following unit SOPs by putting the aircraft down within the specified time with a warning light illuminated, which I accepted as not everyone is inclined to analyse what the aircraft is doing versus what the indications are reading - can't go setting bad examples by using aircraft knowledge/ reasoning/ initiative.

Last edited by Thud_and_Blunder; 31st Oct 2019 at 12:26. Reason: gongs don't illuminate - edited