PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Factors Affecting Stall Speed
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2002, 02:25
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towerdog. .. .I only wish I was smart then I would not get sucked in!. .. .Leading edge devices that move. .Trailing edge devices that move. .Wing plan form. .Wing aerofoil shape. .Altitude . .. .And if you want to use IAS don't forget the airspeed indicator calibration and where the static ports are and whether you have any slip and if your aircraft has a prop the swirl (not just power used) the type of prop (even Lockheed get stuffed by that) and so on and so on.. .. .I'm sorry, but my main beef is that if we are to make any sense of the expression "stalling speed" we must first write a great list of circumstances describing exactly what is going on for the speed we are quoting to apply. . .. .Used as a guide to keep inexperienced guys safe on finals (in simple aeroplanes that don't change weight much)it maybe fine For any other use it is just not a good enough concept. . .. .And we have not even mentioned all the various things/circumstances/events that different people define as "the stall" for which they then quote the "speed" . .. .When BAe and McDonnell Douglas (as were) finish up paying lawyers to decide what the stall speed is then I reckon the notion has passed its sell by date.. .. .BTW thank you for telling me to take it easy. Without out that sound advice I would probably have got wound up.. .. .You have a good day. .. .(I just have to believe that my tomorrow will be better). .. .Regards