PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAI into Clutha crash opens
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2019, 15:15
Dato_R44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAIB Accident Report - Glasgow City Centre 29/11/2013

I would be interested to know the thoughts of Rotary Pilots who may have questioned some of the reports findings.
in particular I find it interesting that the report questions why ATC heard nothing from the Helicopter minutes and seconds before the impact.
As I recall from my training as a PPL(H) In all instances when airborne it is the practice to 1. Aviate, 2. Navigate and 3. Communicate In that order.
Might this explain the lack of COMM's leading up to the impact?
Also the fact that it appears that the attempt to effect autorotation 3 times on realisation that both engines had flared out the pilot was doing all he could to
limit the risk of injury or death by ditching in the River Clyde. Although the machine was so close to the water, this was also hampered by the fact that the 'steering light' was not switched on
which made it near impossible to gauge height, location and speed. There are some questions raised that cannot be answered but IMHO the pilot at the point of the double flare-out exercised
all his skill to auto the machine into the river to limit the risks of death and injury and he was so very close!
I am asking the question mindful of and with the deepest sympathy and respect to all who suffered in this tragic and heart-breaking event.