PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More KC-46A woes....
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2019, 02:20
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Having been peripherally involved in the KC-46 program since it began, until a few years ago, I never thought to question the inclusion of the Remote Visual System for the boom operator, whose station is located in the forward cabin just behind the flight deck. Was RVS a necessity? Was it impossible to have a boom operator station located in the tail with a window and controls, like it is in the KC-135?

It's Monday morning quarterbacking, I know, but it seems like great increase in complexity, with associated increase in failure modes etc., for a military system. Having a few decades of EO experience, I'm of the opinion its nigh impossible to replicate the visual acuity of the Mk 1 eyeball with a visual system comprised of cameras and displays. Not just a question of resolution but depth perception, system delay, etc. If, for some reason, there was a need to add precise symbology and flight data, etc., something like a HUD could have been used.

What am I missing? Now, considering the difficulties the RVS is posing to the program and the IOT&E, I wonder who else might be asking the same question.