PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 29th Oct 2019, 21:07
glenb

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
The APTA philiosophy

I was sitting here waiting to catch up with a friend and stumbled across an old APTA memo, which CASA would hold on file. It made me proud, it really did. Mr Carmody, if you could infect your organisation with the culture that infected mine, I feel CASA would be a far better organisation.

As I say repeatedly, Mr Crawford, will be left standing alone, he really would.

I know its a cliché that good triumphs over evil. But when that evil is so immoral, so unfair, and so unjustified, it will topple, it must. I will stay the course, ethics, will prevail. CASA can hide behind terminiology, twist things, and fabricate, but ultimately they will fail.

Review the APTA Company philosophy, CASA could learn so much!

"I thought it might be timely to review our workplace values and how we treat each other. This has been initiated because I have highlighted some areas of deficiency through my own personal observations over recent months.

As the CEO of APTA, I have significant responsibilities and obligations placed on me to ensure a safe workplace. I take them seriously, but more importantly, I truly believe in them. I look at the people that make up APTA amongst all the bases, and there is no doubt we have a lot of diversity, simply look around at the different genders, ethnicities, ages, experiences, abilities, orientations, religions, languages, family structures, education, work and life experiences, prejudices etc.

As exciting as it is to see that diversity, it doesn’t necessarily make an organisation strong or successful. What will make an organisation strong and successful is how we deal with that diversity. If we deal with diversity in a healthy, productive and proactive manner, we will obviously create a better workplace.

The most basic value that each of us needs to practice in the workplace is respect. Without that, nothing else works. We don’t have to like each other, but we do have to respect each other. Hopefully however, we also like each other!

Irrespective of what base you are at, and where you draw your salary, you are operating under the APTA approval, and as I am the CEO of APTA, I get to set out the workplace values that must flow right throughout the organisation, if you are to operate within APTA, and in no particular order, those values are;

· Confront prejudices and stereotypes that demean, exclude, or belittle people, or their achievements.
· Be a learner.
· Believe in yourself and your values.
· Be an advocate for others.
· Be sensitive to the impact you have on others.
· Respect others dignity, values, beliefs and feelings.
· Communicate honestly.
· Never harass or accept harassment of others.
· Recognise that as humans, we all make mistakes.

Predominantly, we are all pilots. Our job is to make good decisions, so I encourage you to make those same good decisions on the ground as you do in the air.

As a Group, we do have official complaint procedures, but anyone is free to bypass all those procedures and approach me directly. I can assure you that I will approach every matter with an open mind, but I will be prepared to act.

For clarity, there is no “three warnings” for inappropriate behaviour in the workplace. If somebody is a racist, bigot, or a chauvinist on Monday, they will be on Tuesday and Wednesday, so there is little point in wasting three warnings over three days. Its much better to sort it out on the Monday.

If you read this, and take something away from it, thank you.

If you read this and make some smart-arse comment, that only suggests that you are not the type of person we want, need, or will accept.

One last consideration, a “test” I use on my kids, “If you walk away from any conversation and the other person has any increased anxiety, then something has gone wrong with the conversation. When you walk away, everyone’s blood pressure should be the same, or a bit lower”

Last edited by glenb; 29th Oct 2019 at 21:48.