PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 29th Oct 2019, 09:22
Australopithecus

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotmike
Seriously? A 5 second snap judgement that an aircraft can't be approaching a stall because it is climbing?
Don't you recognise a general statement of concept when you see it? Take as long as you need Mike. If you have the correct attitude, planned thrust and the planned flaps you should be able to assess your energy and lift state pretty quickly. These aircraft come with FPV, so if the speed, theta and gamma values are normal where's the mystery? AoA disagree on a duplex instillation on the other hand does not tell you anything about your proximity to a stall.

What follows after a nuisance stall warning is by no means trivial, and I am definitely not in the blame-the-pilots camp.*

*As an aside, I asked for a failed alpha vane on my last NG simulator take-off. The simulator (CAE, 737-800) did not have that as a menu option, so the best they could do was a blocked pitot tube. The resulting stick shaker, UAS, windshear warning was very busy and distracting. I remain astonished that Boeing thought that adding an undocumented, intermittent, fast, stab trim input would not trip the crews into cognitive and manipulation overload.