PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2019, 09:42
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rog747
I dont think we can compare SEN anymore with SOU.
SEN now have 3 x FR 737-800's and 4 or more EZY A320's based there, plus other daily Airbus's coming in with Wizz starting up, & Air Malta etc -
Stuff that SOU can only ever dream of...

Social media reports vocal objections at the recent roadshow.
It maybe now much harder to get PP through due to the increase in Climate, Noise, and Eco objections, especially after recent events with the climate warriors in London and at LCY.

SOU had opportunities years ago to get this PP through and they stalled it - That ship has now well and truly sailed, and it will likely be an uphill battle to convince planners and locals alike the benefits of the airport expansion now.

God help us now if the LHR 3rd runway starts any serious planning....
And LTN has had night flights in and out since the days of Autair BAC 1-11's going off at 02.00 hours, 3 of them at a time....LOL
You are comparing post development SEN with pre development SOU? We absolutely can compare the two airports, not only are they very similar in a lot of ways, but more importantly, they represent opportunities for airlines to keep growing outside the congested big London airports. The airlines need these airports as much as the airports need them. also, don’t forget that the original 2005 master plan did not feature a runway extension from memory. Why might the need for an extension now be necessary? Why would a pension fun owned airport loosen the purse strings without a guaranteed reward? It all points to a low cost operator already being in the wings.

as to the environmental bollocks, I suppose the whole of London should grind to a standstill including all its airports because some unemployed people are pretending they care about the environment because it’s currently fashionable to do so? The extension will pass through planning as long as it meets all the necessary legal requirements, which judging by the thorough process SOU is going through, it will. Nothing would ever get built if residents and environmentalists had their way, they contribute only a very small part to any proper argument against planning being given.

My only concern is that there is no mention of the terminal upgrades, which presumably are to follow at a later date under a separate planning permission. I really do think they need to expand the security, baggage handling etc before servicing more large jets. The odd one they service now always seems to be on the ground for an unusually long amount of time.