PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2019, 22:33
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Construction update

Tonight I will just focus on the new drop off zone.

Traffic is using a temporary access route which still allows for 2 paths for cars to follow. This gives them access to different drop off lanes depending on which side of the support they pass

Traffic seems to self regulate in that if one route is at a standstill cars will switch before the support to the other route.

Traffic generally moves freely even in the night time peak and only bunches for a few seconds.

Traffic lights are independent but most people just wait for a gap in the traffic so don't press the crossing button. This family were the exception

No congestion at the exit barriers

My conclusion after 30 minutes of study is that the drop off zone is working remarkably well and better than I expected. Passenger numbers were moderate despite lots of landings although passengers might have not cleared the terminal during my visit. The big advantage is that passengers wait in the dry but can still get soaked on the long walk to the terminal before the covered walkways start by the taxi rank. I believe the airport has raised its game and is giving passengers a better experience regarding pick up and dropping off.

Last edited by LTNman; 27th Oct 2019 at 22:49.