PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 27th Oct 2019, 14:54
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WillowRun 6-3, I concur with your views on "boards" of all natures; I have seen sea changes in at least one airline when a pair of new glasses are available and used. Before coming to terms with a serious problem, it must first be defined, (QED!) Leadership and the modelling of behaviours and prioritizing of corporate values, like the quality and "wholeness" of a symphony's music, always comes from the conductor. I know you're keenly aware of this and I hope the following contributes to this aspect of an important discussion.

In thinking about corporate culture at Boeing, NASA and the Challenger / Columbia accidents came to mind, and Dianne Vaughan's sociological study of the culture at NASA, "The Challenger Launch Decision", well worth reading in the present context. It was the B787 grounding that was the seed here and I wondered if anyone had written about corporate culture, specifically at Boeing.

It turns out that there are at least two such works, written as cohort studies in 2010 & 2015. They are well researched, offering some helpful insights into Boeing's cultural changes over time, in-step with broader changes in the political economy. These two books concern themselves with the American worker and business cultural changes that gathered momentum in the early '70's from the energy of a growing speculation economy, increasingly-unbridled profit and the devolution of the value of employees. Some labelled this new economy, "neoliberalism". This is a sufficient digression off-topic to define the background from which these works emerged.

They are:
Edward Greenberg, Leon Grunberg, Sarah Moore and Patricia Sikora, "Turbulence", Yale University Press, 2010 Edward Greenberg, Leon Grunberg, Sarah Moore and Patricia Sikora, "Turbulence", Yale University Press, 2010
&
Leon Grunberg, Sarah Moore, "Emerging from Turbulence", Rowman & Littlefield, 2016 Leon Grunberg, Sarah Moore, "Emerging from Turbulence", Rowman & Littlefield, 2016

Both are available as ebooks.

PJ2