PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Byron Bailey, The Australian, MCAS
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2019, 03:44
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hans brinker
I would guess that if you tried to get any of those aircraft certified today, they wouldn't pass. B is wrong to try to re-certify a 60 year old design instead of starting from scratch. tootle your pip all you want, you could not be more wrong.
hans brinker,
As they were 60 years ago, that is certainly true, but, in my opinion, updated designs that meet the certification criteria at the time is valid.
The cost of a clean sheet design, versus a supplementary type certificate for an updated design, makes operational and commercial sense.
After all, a high proportion of changed/upgraded certification criteria are as a result of hard won experience.
In a comment specifically directed at the 737 MAX, in what has been said so far, and in interpretation of what happened, reading transcripts etc., I would suggest over-reach of current approaches to CRM and two pilot procedures, things have morphed to a stage where they can inhibit required rapid reaction where rapid reaction is required.
This is not to suggest some reversion to some supposed "good old days", but a suggestion that too much talking and not enough action, when action is required, is at the very least, a contributor.
Tootle pip!!