PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel conversion
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2003, 22:26
oscarmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm........... very interested by what I've read on this thread so far - may I pass on my own experience?

Like the original poster I had only previously flown tricycle undercarriage, Robins and PA28's etc. all club aircraft.

Then I heard of a share for sale in a Jodel which I subsequently bought. I therefore needed differences training.

I asked at the club where I did my PPL course, and after much scratching of heads and consulting various publications they concluded that whilst legally, as I was licensed to fly single engine land planes I could technically just jump in and go, although clearly this would have been insane.

However they did conclude that differences training did NOT have to be undertaken by an instructor, although before flying solo I would have to undertake a check ride and have my log book signed by an instructor.

They simply suggested that I flew with other members of the syndicate until I felt comfortable with take off and landings on both grass and hard runways, then take the check ride.

This is exactly what I did, but I did log the time as P1/S, as technically the aircraft was under my control. Was this incorrect?

Then, after around five hours, I took the check ride and got signed off. The instructor made no comments about me logging the differences training as P1/S so I assumed it must be OK. (The instructor filled in my log book for the check ride himself and logged me as simply P1.)

From the short time I have been flying the Jodel, and talking to other tail wheel pilots I gather that the Jodel is one of the easier types to master, and there is no way I would assume I could fly other tail wheel aircraft competently without a lot more experience.

Our insurers have also imposed a higher excess for me on the policy until I have completed 10 hours on type.

Regards

Last edited by oscarmike; 10th Nov 2003 at 22:47.