PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max Hastings' Dambusters book
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2019, 06:49
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightlessParrot
IIRC, Hastings expresses surprise that there was no attempt to disrupt the repairs (which would be the only really profitable target). Perhaps because Harris didn't really believe in the operation?

Hastings seems to be very balanced on both Harris and Gibson, with criticism (severe criticism, in the case of Harris) but not just for the sake of being revisionist. On Gibson, he has no doubt at all that he was heroic, whilst being aware that heroes are not always comfortable to be around (a perception that goes back at least to the Iliad).
I daresay Harris and his mindset may as you say not have led him to believe in the operation. The Battle of the Ruhr was still on going and the industrial centres were still the main targets. I think also one has to remember that Harris didn't like 'elites'. He had previously opposed the formation of 'pathfinders' before being overruled. Personally I think that every surviving member should have been grounded from ops, their contribution to the war effort having been done.