PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 26th Oct 2019, 00:03
Takwis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomaski
I'll remind you here that your question was about the Airspeed Unreliable procedure, which I answered specifically.

Beyond that, here is absolutely no requirement to make an either/or choice regarding which checklists to execute. However, there sometimes is a need to prioritize multiple checklists. Remove MCAS from the equation entirely, and this crew probably still had at least six different non-normal procedures to run through just because of the AOA malfunction.
You are correct. I only asked about the one, because the other checklist has been effectively cannonized by Boeing, via the AD, and permanently in my mind, lately. I was thinking of both, and people arguing for one or the other, but those thoughts never made it to my keyboard. I apologize. You are also correct that there is no promise re. multiple checklists being required, depending on the malfunction. And that gets more to the root of what I am thinking. Boeing has continually tried to minimize how confusing, distracting, and LOUD the situation in the cockpit must have been, and has always tried to minimize the choices the pilots had to make, as to prioritizing checklists or memory items to be followed. Their message is, "it's simple, stupid!", but it is not. And you elaborated on that fact much more clearly than I have. Boeing doesn't want to dwell on the six different non-normal checklists still to go.

As for practicing the stab trim checklist during training, I think the last time was almost three decades ago. A few years before that, I would have done the yo-yo maneuver in a sim...with no motion, and mounted inside a railcar. Both of those practice sessions were in the Air Force...I do not think I have ever done it in formal training, in the civilian world. It certainly needs to be reemphasized, especially now.