PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cork-6
Thread: Cork-6
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2019, 23:09
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCR
Glad to hear that Cork will have good connectivity with 3 major European hubs, LHR, AMS and CDG with the recent Air France announcement.
Still a little surprised that Stobart hasn't come back on the Dublin route though.
The main focus for the DAA in Cork should be to get at least one major carrier on transatlantic routes from 2020 onwards.
All the carriers flying between the USA and Shannon operate the 757, an aircraft perfect for Cork's short 7,000ft runway.
The DAA should encourage Aer Lingus to relocate their 757 US operations from Shannon to Cork or at least one of the US carriers, United, Delta or American to relocate their US services to Cork where they could operate a year round 757 services instead of just seasonal services to Shannon and with zero competition too!
The DUB/ORK route had been re-evaluated by Stobart a few years ago.
I think the challenge is slots are like hens teeth in the early morning when this need to have a landing at DUB.
There well be far more attractive routes than ORK, equally something else more attractive night need to be forsaken ex ORK unless an extra unit can't on.

When the new runway comes on stream it could get a look in. A mix of transfer pax and business pax on point to point, totally feasible.

AF's success on ORK-CDG-USA could determine a lot, if they eat into Aer Lingus's pax numbers to US, then things could change. I don't think Aer Lingus will down the fight and I can't see AF staying long on double daily.. I'll give it one season...
​​