PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk XX204 Service Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2019, 19:04
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
When I opened the link I didn’t get all that information.

I will take your word for it and hope I never have to find out for real.

What I would add is that, having practiced gliding in a variety of aircraft fits, the maintenance of a constant sight line angle and careful energy management will let you know how you’re getting on. Therefore I believe that even a more draggy engine would be no worse than gliding in a heavy fit and sensible decisions can be made in any case.

BV
You are absolutely correct about constant sight line angle. As you point out it is important to practice with a variety of weights, speeds and starting positions and IMHO drag conditions. All too frequently the exercise is initiated close to the promulgated minima with little regard to reality, it becomes a challenge to succeed rather than decide what is the safe option.
It became apparent from a friend who landed a propeller driven aircraft that a stopped prop gave a much longer glide after round out than he had anticipated. He was lucky he had a runway, not a field. The Hawk is not as heavily laden a wing as a true swept wing aircraft and would glide very well with a seized engine. At what speed would it cease to windmill?

It's good to have time, without secondary duties, to think about these things.
​​​​​